Off Grid Reality
Nick Fouch and Esther Emery, the YouTube channel Fouch-o-matic Off Grid couple, have been living off the grid since 2013. In the video below they discuss–with solutions–10 things they wish they knew before beginning their homestead adventure.
Actually, they already sorta knew all this, but some of the details of the actual implementation took them by surprise … sometimes.
Going Off Grid>
10 Things To Really Know Beforehand
1) Solar power is easier than you think. It does work.
2) Plants can’t grow without soil; and if you don’t have good soil, you’ve got to make it. Think organic matter.
3) Water runs downhill, so a spring “up there” means water “down here”. A water system is easier than you think.
4) Carrying water is grueling and “demoralizing” work… figure out plumbing any way you can. Especially for winter months.
5) Batteries run out. LED lights only “sip” off a battery bank, and rechargeable items (like headlamps) are more efficient than packs of AA batteries.
The VIDEO And Items 6 Through 10 On The Next Page: